Tips after a Taxi, Uber, or Lyft accident in New York
Most tourists and residents use taxis, Uber drivers, or Lyft ride-sharing services to get around New York.
But these vehicles can still contribute to road congestion and hazards, and motor vehicles, bicyclists, and pedestrians have been involved in more than their fair share of auto accidents in New York.
What should you do if you've been hit by a taxi or Uber? Do you know what action to take after an accident? What are the steps involved in filing a claim? How are New York no-fault insurance laws enforced? Is it necessary to hire an attorney? Find out below.
What You Can Do After an NYC Taxi, Uber, or Lift Accident
Getting in touch with a large company like Uber or Lyft after a car accident can be challenging and frustrating. Their process is designed to protect their interests when handling accident claims. But here are the steps to follow after an NYC taxi, Uber, or Lyft accident:
- Call 911 to the scene for emergency services
- Get a full medical evaluation
- Record the name of the taxi company or ride-sharing service.
- Find the taxi or Uber driver's name, ID number, license information, and commercial license
- Note the vehicle's license plate and any other identifying information
- Take pictures of the accident scene
- Get a witness's contact information
- Describe every detail of the accident before, during, and after
- Follow doctor's orders strictly.
- Consult a lawyer. If you hire an attorney, you will likely get fair compensation, whether you settle out of court or receive a court award.
Claiming no-fault insurance
All ride-sharing employees must carry at least the basics of no-fault insurance in New York since the state is a no-fault insurance state. Regardless of the fault or negligence involved, minimum coverage in New York would provide $50,000 per person in personal injury protection.
New York ride-sharing accident lawyers at The Eskesen Law Firm handle cases involving ride-sharing accidents. There will be a pushback against almost any claim for personal injury or property damage filed by rideshare companies and their insurers.
After a ride-sharing accident, we can help you pursue full compensation and have a track record of success. Our attorneys can help you if you've been injured in an accident. Contact us right away for a free consultation.